To edit a product, go to the Products module and select the edit pencil at the end of the product row, or select Edit from within the product.
Changes to Product Code, Description and general details
These are edited on the Details tab. The Code is available to edit if Settings are configured to allow changes to the Product Code.
- Code: Changes to the Product Code take effect immediately. Any Unposted invoices are updated to show the new product code.
- Description: Changes are applied to future transactions. Any existing unposted invoices keep the old description details and if a change is required, the invoice must be updated. This is because the Description field on an invoice is a free-text field and may be edited at the time of sale.
- Barcode: The previous barcode will no longer exist. Replace labels on the product with the new barcode label.
The Stock Tracking option cannot be de-selected while there is stock on hand.
Changes to Product Types, Groups and Sub-Groups
Products Types, Groups and Sub-Groups are used to manage pricing and GL links, and provide filtering options for reports.
Changes made to the Type or Group may impact pricing if the Product Group Markup method is used and if the Product Grounp has active Markups set. Changes to pricing are shown on the Pricing tab.
- Type: When the Type is changed, the Group and Sub-Group fields are cleared. New Groups and Sub-Groups are required (if applicable).
- Group: Changing the Group may impact the pricing if the Product Group Markup method is used. Changes to pricing are shown on the Pricing tab.
Reporting is determined by the current Type, Group and Sub-Group. When a report is run referencing these for grouping or filtering the current setting on the product is applied.
Linking to GL Accounts
Changes to the GL Account that a product links to are made on the Settings tab.
When the GL Account is changed, all transactions posted after the change are attributed to the new GL Account. This means that unposted invoices created prior to the GL Account change will reference the new GL Account when they are posted.
Changes to Pricing
The process to change pricing is determined by whether Fixed Price or Price Group Markup is used. Either method updates the price in real time.
- Fixed Price: Pricing is changed on the Pricing tab of the product. Select the edit pencil at the end of the price level row to activate the pricing window and update changes as required.
- Product group markup: Pricing is changed in Product Group Settings. Refer to Settings | Product Group Settings for more information.